SSI’s Higher Diploma in Social Service (HDSS) is a programme for new entrants and existing Social Service Professionals who aspire to be Social Work Associates. The programme aims to equip learners with the necessary skills and knowledge to be collaborative, client-centric, strategic and compassionate individuals who can work effectively with clients and stakeholders.
The programme covers a wide range of concepts, which includes human behaviour, family life cycles, psychology, sociology and culture, and their application in working with vulnerable clients and stakeholders. In addition, the programme will also cover writing and presentation skills, usage of online information, research methodologies and legal frameworks to help the vulnerable.
Successful applicants will also be required to attend an Academic Integrity Workshop and participate in a Social Service Field Experience to better prepare them for the programme and help them in their learning journey.
SSI’s HDSS programme also provides an articulation pathway into Bachelor in Social Work at the Singapore University of Social Services (SUSS), for learners who want to pursue a further education and their aspiration to become a Social Worker.
Applicants should possess the following criteria:
- A minimum grade of C6 for GCE ‘O’ level English (or its equivalent).
- At least two years of full-time working experience.
- Complete a complimentary e-learning course “, Singapore’s Social Compact (download the e-certificate and submit it upon registration for this programme)1 .
1 This e-learning course provides learners with an overview of the development of Singapore’s social services over the years and introduces them to the principles behind its provision. It also covers the six areas of social service provision and the challenges that lay ahead.
Applicants should also possess any one of the following qualifications:
- SSI Advanced Certificate in Social Service.
- WSQ Advanced Certificate in Social Service.
- SGUS Social Service Assistance Programme
- SSI Diploma in Social Service.
- SSI Diploma in Disability Studies.
- SIM-SSTI Specialist Diploma in Human Services.
- Diploma from local polytechnic.
- Two GCE ‘A’ and two ‘AO’ levels passes.
All shortlisted applicants will have to sit for a Written Aptitude Test (WAT), which will be conducted on 26 May 2022 at 10.30am/3.00pm or 27 May 2022 at 10.30am/3.00pm. Only applicants who successfully pass the WAT will be considered for admission into the programme.
Qualifications & Career Prospects
Upon completion of SSI’s HDSS, learners will be issued a:
- SSI Higher Diploma in Social Service
- SSI transcript
Learners may also apply for work as a Social Work Associate, Project Coordinator, Youth Worker or Volunteer Executive.
- Cohort Size: One cohort of 25 pax.
- No of Modules: Nine
- Programme Duration: 16 months. This is a part time course with lessons being conducted two to three times a week.
- Programme Date: 15 Aug 2022 to 30 Dec 2023
- Course Timing: 7.00pm to 10.00pm
- Fees: Full Fees: $10,800 (before GST).*
- Estimated Nett Fees: $3,240 (after SSG Subsidy)*
- GST on Nett Fees: $226.80*
- Total Payable Course Fees after SSG Funding: $3,466.80 (including GST)*
- Assessment: Written Assessment and Written Assignment
- Mandatory Components: Programme Orientation (date: TBC)
All learners will also be required to undergo the Social Service Field Experience (except for learners who have undergone the Social Service Field experience in the WSQ ACSS or SSI ACSS programme). Eligible Learners will be provided with the details for the Social Service Field Experience registration and payment of S$360 (before GST) separately by the programme coordinator.
Course fees for the programme have to be paid upon acceptance of the offer letter within the timeline provided in the ofter letter.
Learners must achieve at least 75% attendance per module and be certified competent in all the assessment components in order to be eligible for SkillsFuture Singapore (SSG) funding. Learners or their sponsoring organisations will have to pay the full course fees in the event that the learners fail to meet the attendance/ assessment requirements and/or any other terms and conditions for SSG funding eligibility. Please refer to this link for more information on the SSG funding eligibility requirement.
*Please note that course fees are subjected to changes.
Applicants to download and upload the completed Application Form, with all relevant supporting documents via the Registration Portal between 1 - 29 April 2022.
||15 Aug 2022 – 30 Dec 2023
|Online Applications Open
||1 Apr 2022
|Closing Date for Applications
||29 April 2022 before 23:59
|Conduct Written Aptitude Test¹
||Thu, 26 & Fri, 27 May 2022 (10.30am-11.30am & 3.00pm-4.00pm)
||14, 16, 20, & 21 Jun 2022
All shortlisted applicants will have to sit for a Written Aptitude Test (WAT), which will be conducted on the stipulated date indicated above. Only applicants who successfully pass the WAT will be considered for admission into the programme.
Applicants may also be called to attend an online interview with the selection panel on the dates specified above. Applicants will receive an email from SSI informing them about the assigned interview date and time and are required to make themselves available for the interview accordingly. Requests for alternative arrangements will not be considered.
Date: 13 April 2022
Do register via this Link to receive the Zoom link 3 days before the actual session.
Refer to this link for FAQs relating to this programme.
Application Guide (HDSS)