Jointly developed with the Ministry of Social and Family Development (MSF) and Ministry of Health (MOH), ‘Professional Certificate in Casework’ is a course that equips social workers with the competencies to provide quality social work and case management services to their clients. This three-module certification covers methodologies in engaging and assessing clients’ needs for casework interventions, as well as in developing, reviewing and evaluating care plans.
Social workers can embark on this course as part of a structured competency-based training roadmap to deepen their skills and knowledge and plan their career progression pathway based on competencies and job roles.
Social workers who possess at least a Bachelor’s or Graduate Diploma in Social Work from a recognised university.
Learners are required to submit a written report as a form of summative assessment.
Module 1: Engagement and Assessment
This module equips social workers with the knowledge and skills to effectively collect, organise and interpret client information from multiple system levels. Through this module, learners will be able to:
- Apply appropriate methods for reflective practice in relation to the principles of casework relationship.
- Illustrate the casework processes including engagement, assessment, providing intervention and evaluation of practice.
- Relate the context of casework practice to each stage of the casework process.
- Apply different modes of engagement to manage clients’ resistance.
- Assess clients’ needs for casework interventions.
- Prepare case formulations using social work and casework theories.
Module 2: Planning and Intervention
This module will provide social workers with the knowledge and skills to develop appropriate intervention strategies to achieve client goals. Through this module, learners will be able to:
- Demonstrate a person-centred approach when developing care planning and interventions for clients.
- Use different models and approaches for developing care plans.
- Develop an individualised care plan to support clients’ needs in accordance to organisational practices.
- Illustrate ways to engage stakeholders so as to mobilise community resources based on individualised care plans.
Module 3: Case Review and Evaluation
This module provides social workers with the knowledge and skills to analyse, monitor and evaluate interventions. Through this module, learners will be able to:
- Illustrate the process of monitoring, reviewing and evaluating care plans.
- Document an effective care plan review.
- Apply steps to close cases upon achieving the agreed goals.
- Prepare social reports in accordance to organisational practices.
This course qualifies for CPE credits, with the renewal of accreditation at one credit per one training hour. (For further enquiries on accreditation matters with SASW, please contact the Accreditation Secretariat at 6778 7922 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
Find out more about upcoming intakes.